1. What defines a release date?
- The eligibility period for the 2024 JUNO Awards is between September 1, 2022 to November 2, 2023.
- Product must be released for national sale* (in stores or online for all Canadians to access) or via a recognized national music streaming provider**. The first available consumer access as noted on each platform will be the release date for JUNO Award eligibility purposes. Product released (digital or physical) only internationally (not in Canada) outside of the eligibility period, may be eligible as long as the Canadian release date falls within the eligibility period.
*Product must be released nationally via brick and mortar stores or third-party online retailers.
**Product must be released via a nationally accessible streaming service that has paid subscriptions, full catalogue, or on-demand streaming. Eligible streaming services are Canadian versions of Amazon Music, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Soundcloud PRO, Spotify, Tidal.
- “Release date” for CARAS eligibility purposes is defined as the date of the first online transaction or stream. Albums available for pre-order online no later than November 2, 2023 will also qualify. Pre-ordered online albums (digital or physical copies) must be delivered to the consumer (electronically or physically) no later than November 16, 2023. Proof of transaction may be requested. Pre-order eligibility does not apply to Music Video of the Year.
PLEASE NOTE: The online submission must be completed by 11:59 PM ET on the November 2, 2023 deadline day. Album Artwork of the Year submissions must deliver physical copies of the album/vinyl required to the CARAS office by the dates listed in the criteria information.
2. How do I ensure that my entry was submitted properly?
Once you have completed your online application at junosubmissions.ca, you will receive an email confirmation.
3. What is the deadline for JUNO Submissions?
In order to qualify for the early bird deadline, your online submission must be complete and paid by 5pm ET October 2, 2023. If your submission is not completed and paid by the early bird deadline standard fees will apply.
Submissions must be completed online by the final deadline 11:59pm ET on November 2, 2023.
IF SUBMITTING TO ALBUM ARTWORK OF THE YEAR: 12 physical copies of the product required must be received in the CARAS office by November 2, 2023 by 5pm ET, however if you submit by the early bird deadline your product must be in the office by 5pm ET on October 2, 2023.
4. Can I pay for my submission online?
Yes. Once all fields are entered properly during the submission process you will be prompted to a screen which will allow you to pay online with VISA, MasterCard or AMEX.
5. Can I fax or mail in my application?
No. All submissions must be completed online via junosubmissions.ca
6. Are Non-Canadians eligible for any of the categories?
The only category where a non-Canadian is eligible is International Album of the Year.
For all other categories non-Canadian are eligible if they are a part of a group that meets the Canadian Criteria that Crosses All Categories defined as:
Canadian is defined by The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) to be:
50% or more of group members hold Canadian birth certificates, passports or are Canadian Permanent Resident(s) with residency in Canada during the last six months of the eligibility period;
The group is deemed by CARAS, in its sole discretion, to be Canadian as a result of:
- the Canadian member(s) receiving the majority of royalties, touring profits, and other proceeds earned by the group; and/or
- the Canadian member(s) being the creative force behind the group and/or the principal songwriters for the group.
CARAS shall have sole discretion in applying the criteria above and determining whether the artist/group is Canadian.
Non-Canadians will receive named credit only and will not be considered nominees or winners if part of a nominated song or technical project. The only exceptions are if they are in a nominated group that meets the 50% Canadian criteria or are nominated in the International Album of the Year category.
7. Can I submit to more than one category?
- You may only make one submission in categories 5-8.
- You may only make one submission in any of the genre categories (10-18, 20-28, 30-32, and 40-46).
- EXCEPTION: You may submit to both Rap Album/EP (25) and Rap Single (45).
- You may make a submission in all the crossover categories if eligible (19, 29, 33, 34, 47)
- You may make submissions in all the remaining categories if eligible (3-4, 9, and 35-38).
PLEASE NOTE: YOU MAY NOT SUBMIT TO MORE THAN ONE GENRE WITH THE SAME PROJECT. YOU CANNOT SUBMIT YOUR ALBUM TO AN ALBUM BASED CATEGORY AND SUBMIT A SINGLE FROM THE ALBUM TO A SINGLE OR RECORDING CATEGORY. THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO THIS IS RAP ALBUM/EP AND RAP SINGLE. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO SUBMIT YOUR PROJECT TO TWO DIFFERENT GENRES, ONE SUBMISSION WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
For full details on making multiple submissions see the Criteria That Crosses All Categories
8. Will an album/recording qualify if it has been previously nominated?
No, you cannot not re-submit a nominated album/recording in the same category that it received a nomination.
A previously nominated album/recording can be re-submitted the following year should it still fall within the eligible release date September 1, 2022 -November 2, 2023. However it cannot be re-submitted to the same category it received a nomination for.
E.g An album/recording Nominated for Group of the Year in 2023 cannot resubmit in 2024 for Group of the Year. It could be submitted into genre, crossover and technical categories.
9. Does previously released/newly arranged material qualify?
Albums containing previously released tracks may qualify. 50% of the album tracks must be new, if the album contains previously released tracks. The new versions of the tracks must be a new recording, re-recorded in the studio (CARAS may require proof). This criteria may not apply to Breakthrough Artist and Breakthrough Group of the Year as previously released tracks may be eligible at CARAS’ discretion.
Live recordings or stripped down versions of previously released songs are NOT eligible.
“Greatest Hits” packages are not eligible. Greatest hits packages are defined as albums containing over 50% of previously released cuts. Live albums are eligible only if 50% or greater of the cuts are new (not previously released or newly arranged).
If an album has been previously released and then re-released in a different language with the same musical arrangement it will not qualify.
10. If I am asked to provide proof of my release date since it does not appear online, what information do I need to provide?
You may submit a manufacturing invoice, a letter from the distributor or record company, or a contract showing the online point of sale.
11. What defines a full album length? What defines an EP length?
A full album is defined as having a minimum run time of 20:00+ unique minutes or six unique tracks (meaning no remixes, acoustic, instrumental versions, added accompaniment etc). In order to submit to a category with “Album of the Year” in the title or to Contemporary Indigenous Artist or Group of the Year/Traditional Indigenous Artist or Group of the Year, this criteria must be met.
An EP is considered anything that is at least two tracks but below the album criteria above. EPs can be submitted into any categories that do not have “album” in the title (x: Reggae Recording of the Year, Songwriter of the Year, etc.). There are a few exceptions to this:
- Rap Album/EP accepts full albums and EPs
- Contemporary Indigenous Artist or Group of the Year and Traditional Indigenous Artist or Group of the Year require a full album
- If EP is in the title of the project but still meets the full album criteria, it can be submitted to a category with “Album of the Year” in the title.
12. Are cover songs eligible?
Covers of songs by other artists are eligible – provided the artist who is submitting has not recorded the songs previously and released them for national consumption.
13. Does an album/recording qualify if it is in a different language?
Yes, there are no restrictions on album/recordings being in English only.
If an album released in a different language is nominated, it cannot be nominated again if released in English. Change of language still constitutes the same material and therefore it would be considered to be previously released and not eligible. The same rule applies to removing a vocal track or adding a vocal track to previously released material.
14. Which categories have consumption requirements?
- International Album of the Year
- Album of the Year
- Artist of the Year
- Group of the Year
- Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- Breakthrough Group of the Year
- Pop Album of the Year
- Rock Album of the Year
- Francophone Album of the Year
- Rap Album/EP of the Year
- Rap Single of the Year
15. Which categories have NO consumption requirements?
- Songwriter of the Year
- Country Album of the Year
- Adult Alternative Album of the Year
- Alternative Album of the Year
- Vocal Jazz Album of the Year
- Jazz Album of the Year: Solo
- Jazz Album of the Year: Group
- Instrumental Album of the Year
- Children’s Album of the Year
- Classical Album of the Year: Solo Artist
- Classical Album of the Year: Large Ensemble
- Classical Album of the Year: Small Ensemble
- Classical Composition of the Year
- Dance Recording of the Year
- Contemporary R&B Recording of the Year
- Reggae Recording of the Year
- Contemporary Indigenous Artist or Group of the Year
- Contemporary Roots Album of the Year
- Traditional Roots Album of the Year
- Blues Album of the Year
- Contemporary Christian/Gospel Album of the Year
- Global Music Album of the Year
- Jack Richardson Producer of the Year
- Recording Engineer of the Year
- Album Artwork of the Year
- Music Video of the Year
- Electronic Album of the Year
- Metal/Hard Music Album of the Year
- Adult Contemporary Album of the Year
- Comedy Album of the Year
- Traditional R&B/Soul Recording of the Year
- Underground Dance Single of the Year
- Traditional Indigenous Artist or Group of the Year
16. Regarding the consumption categories, what is included when calculating sales and streams?
- Sales will be collected from Luminate Data, and the total sales figures will be reviewed by PwC.
- The sales portion will be calculated by combining physical scanned sales, which includes digital sales, with digital-only sales.
- Online sales are defined as units purchased in digital form that are available nationally.
- Streaming data will be collected from Luminate Data, and the total streaming figures will be reviewed by PwC.
- Streaming data includes both on-demand and programmed streams.
- Canadian streaming providers that report to Luminate Data include YouTube Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, Slacker, Napster, and Soundcloud PRO.
- 1250 premium streams = 1 album
- 1250 premium video streams = 1 album
- 3750 ad-supported streams = 1 album
- 3750 ad-supported video streams = 1 album
- 3750 programmed streams = 1 album
17. How are box sets counted for the consumption categories?
For consumption purposes, box sets are counted as one unit.
18. Are live albums eligible?
Live albums are eligible only if 50% or greater of the selections are new (not previously released or newly arranged). “Live” refers to albums that are recorded live with an audience in attendance in a concert setting and not a so-called “live in the studio” recording.
Exception: Live albums submitted in the Jazz & Blues categories need only 25% new material to qualify.
19. Are TV/Movie soundtracks eligible?
TV and movie soundtracks are eligible provided a featured artist or band is performing on 60% of the tracks.
20. If an artist was part of a group who has been nominated before and now is in a solo project, do they qualify for Breakthrough Artist or Breakthrough Group of the Year?
An artist who has been recognized previously (with a different group) and has now gone SOLO or changed name does not qualify for Breakthrough Artist/Breakthrough Group, as they will be considered previously nominated.
21. What are the eligibility requirements for the Songwriter of the Year category?
A Songwriter or Publisher must submit THREE (3) songs as a representation of the creative success of each songwriter’s body of work during the eligibility period (September 1, 2022 to November 2, 2023).
A Songwriter may make a submission as a single Songwriter or as part of a Songwriting Team. Songwriters who wish to be considered as a team must all agree to submit the same three songs as a team. You CANNOT submit as a single Songwriter and as part of a Songwriting Team. A Songwriter who decides to submit on their own, but is also a Co-Songwriter on all three songs on any other SUBMISSION IN THE CATEGORY, will only receive named credit on the other submission and will not become a nominee or winner.
Canadian Songwriters who write for international artists/releases are eligible.
A song does not need to contain lyrics to be eligible.
22. Can I submit to two Classical categories in the same year?
An album entered into the Classical Composition of the Year category can also be submitted into one of the other Classical categories in the same year. The Classical Composition category is not considered a genre category.
23. If a single in a recording category was nominated last year, and is now on a full album, can the full album be submitted into the same category?
An artist MAY submit a single/recording and become nominated and the following year they ARE eligible to submit the FULL ALBUM as a separate piece of product to be considered for the same category as long as the full album consists of 50% or more new material.
However, the opposite is not true; artists cannot submit a full album one year and then submit the same album next year using different listening tracks.
24. If there is a project that has Co-Producers, how should it be entered?
A co-production team who contributed equal amounts should be listed as a production team.
25. What is required for a submission in Jack Richardson Producer of the Year?
A maximum of 2 selections per Producer or Production team may be submitted. You CANNOT create a new package with two more tracks. You may also not have two tracks under your name and two tracks as part of a team submission.
International product qualifies, as long as the Producer is Canadian. A Producer must have contributed to a minimum of 50% of work.
If an artist submits their own work to the category, they must have also produced another artist’s work (one track minimum) within three years of the current eligibility criteria deadline (proof may be required).
In the case of a team submission, 50% of the team must have also produced another artist’s work (one track minimum) within three years of the current eligibility criteria deadline.
Please be advised that multiple submissions cannot be submitted to this category. A submitter must create one submission, selecting 2 tracks to represent their work.
26. Will an Album Artwork team qualify if one of the Designers is not Canadian?
Yes, if the majority of the work or the driving force behind the project is done by Canadian(s). Non-Canadians will receive named credit only and will not be considered nominees or winners.
Non-Canadian Artists/Groups with Album Graphics designed by Canadians are eligible.
27. Who is eligible to receive the Music Video of the Year award?
In order to submit, the Director must be Canadian. The nomination will go to the Director. In the event the Artist is Canadian they will also receive the nomination. If the Artist is not Canadian, they will receive named credit only.
28. If a full album/EP is available and is submitted into any recording category ( Dance, Contemporary R&B, Traditional R&B/Soul, Reggae), can a single be submitted or is it mandatory to select three listening tracks?
When submitting an album/EP for consideration, an artist/band can choose to submit three tracks or one single to represent the body of work. If an album/EP is nominated one year, it may not be re-submitted in any form the following year using three different tracks or another single.
29. Should I submit into Artist/Group or Breakthrough Artist/Breakthrough Group if I have never been nominated for any projects before?
If you have not been previously nominated for a JUNO Award in any category, then you must submit to Breakthrough Artist or Breakthrough Group of the Year.
In order to submit to Artist or Group of the Year, you must have been a previous nominee.
30. If I submit to multiple categories, do I only pay one submission fee?
NO. You pay a submission fee per selected category:
Fees & Deadlines
- October 2, 2023 5:00 PM ET – Early Bird Deadline
- Academy Delegate Fee – $45.00 per submission
- Standard Fee – $75.00 per submission
- November 2, 2023 11:59 PM ET- Final Deadline
- Academy Delegate Fee – is $80.00 per submission
- Standard Fee – $100.00 per submission
31. Can I submit to Album Artwork of the Year with a package that contains material released outside of the current eligibility period, a Greatest Hits package, a compilation, or a reissue?
NO. Physical products released within the eligibility period that contain previously released tracks, are compilation projects, are reissues, or are greatest hits projects will NOT be eligible unless they meet the following criteria:
- Albums containing previously released songs may qualify if a minimum of 50% of the album’s songs are considered to be “new.” To be considered “new,” a song must be completely re-recorded (CARAS may require proof of the recording). Adding to existing instrumental or vocal tracks, or replacing instruments or vocals does not qualify as “new.”
- Multi-artist compilation projects and projects with two or more artists performing individual tracks will not qualify. Projects with two or more artists performing together or collaborating as a group on 60% or more of the tracks are eligible.
32. Can I submit to both Rap Album/EP and Rap Single of the Year?
Yes, you can submit to both of these genre categories. You may not submit to Rap Album/EP or Rap Single in conjunction with another genre unless it is an applicable crossover category. When submitting to both categories, you can submit only ONE song from the submitted Album/EP or you can submit stand alone singles that do not appear on the Album/EP. You may not submit a different single off the album/EP to this or any other category.
33. Can I submit my album to a genre category then take a single from that album and submit it to a Recording or Single category? For example, can I submit my album to Electronic and a single from that album to Dance Recording or Underground Dance Single?
No. You can only submit to ONE genre category with the same project. You will need to choose whether to submit the full album to Electronic or a single from the album to either Dance Recording or Underground Dance Single. The only exception to this is when submitting to Rap Album/EP and Rap Single.
34. What if my album fits two genres and I don’t know where to submit? Can’t I submit the album to two different genres?
No, you can only make a submission to ONE genre category with the same project. Any additional submissions to other genre categories will be disqualified with no refund. If you are unsure where your album fits musically, please consult the category criteria here or take a look through our past nominee and winner database here. We recommend you submit where you feel it fits best and our Music Advisory Committees will recommend a category move if they see fit.
35. Can I submit a collection of singles that do not appear together on an album/EP but have all been released in the eligibility period?
No, in categories where singles are eligible (Artist, Group, Breakthrough Artist, Breakthrough Group, Dance, Contemporary R&B, Reggae, Traditional R&B, Rap Single, Underground Dance) you can only select ONE single if you do not have an album/EP available.
36. For Recording Engineer of the Year, how many tracks can I submit?
A maximum of two tracks per Engineer or Engineering team may be submitted. You CANNOT create a new package with two more tracks. You also may not have two tracks under your name and two tracks as part of a team submission.
37. If I receive a nomination in Breakthrough Artist/Group with an album/EP/single which came out during the crossover period for two nomination cycles, can I submit to Artist of the Year/Group of the Year with the same project?
No, you cannot submit to Artist of the Year/Group of the Year with an album/EP/single that received a nomination in Breakthrough Artist of the Year/Breakthrough Group of the Year. If a deluxe version is released with 50% new material then you can submit that project to Artist/Group the next year.
38. Can I submit to both Contemporary R&B and Traditional R&B/Soul?
No, you can only submit to one genre category with your album/recording. You also CANNOT submit your album/recording to one of the two categories then take a single and submit to the other.
39. Is AI Generated Music eligible to submit to the JUNO Awards?
Some elements of AI generated music are eligible for consideration. For full AI eligiblity please read the Critieria That Crosses All Categories
40. Are digital only relelases eligible for Album Artwork of the Year?
Yes! If the submitting an album relelased as digital streaming multimedia, submitters will be required to provide an MP4 of the album cover art to represent the submission for adjudication. This is done via junosubmissions.ca