It is the responsibility of the 50+ Music Advisory Committee Chairs/Co-Chairs and 190+ Music Advisory Committee Members to support CARAS in maintaining the integrity of the JUNO Awards through monitoring changes within the industry as it pertains to their categories and the awards. Members and Chairs are asked to bring any changes they observe in the market to the attention of CARAS. They are also tasked with ensuring that each submission in their specific genres meet required qualifications and fit the genre musically.
The purpose of these committees is to aid CARAS in managing each genre and completing outreach within their respective communities.
Each Chair serves a two year term at CARAS’ discretion. During their two years, they will train their successor (Co-Chair). Once the two year term has been served, the Chair will step down and the Co-Chair will lead the committee. For a Co-Chair, they will be trained in years one and two, and serve as Chair in years three and four. They then must select a new Co-Chair to train as their successor.
- Chairs and Co-Chairs must form a committee of eight to ten members that are:
- Representative of the music genre/constituency
- Members from all facets of the industry: publishers, managers, producers, promoters, booking agents, major and independent labels, etc.
- Committees should feature an equal male to female ratio and also strive for gender parity. The priority is to have a balance in gender but also diversity, ethnicity, location, and sector of the industry.
- Committees will also consider the inclusion of at least one Francophone representative.
The following awards categories have a Music Advisory Committee. For a list of all of our awards categories please click here.
- #9 – SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR
- #10 – COUNTRY ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #11 – ADULT ALTERNATIVE ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #12 – ALTERNATIVE ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #13 – POP ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #14 – ROCK ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #15 – VOCAL JAZZ ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #16 – JAZZ ALBUM OF THE YEAR: SOLO
- #17 – JAZZ ALBUM OF THE YEAR: GROUP
- #18 – INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #19 – FRANCOPHONE ALBUM OF THE YEAR / ALBUM FRANCOPHONE DE L’ANNÉE
- #20 – CHILDREN’S ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #21 – CLASSICAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR: SOLO OR CHAMBER
- #22 – CLASSICAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR: LARGE ENSEMBLE
- #23 – CLASSICAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR: VOCAL OR CHORAL
- #24 – CLASSICAL COMPOSITION OF THE YEAR
- #25 – RAP RECORDING OF THE YEAR
- #26 – DANCE RECORDING OF THE YEAR
- #27 – R&B/SOUL RECORDING OF THE YEAR
- #28 – REGGAE RECORDING OF THE YEAR
- #29 – INDIGENOUS ARTIST OR GROUP OF THE YEAR
- #30 – CONTEMPORARY ROOTS ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #31 – TRADITIONAL ROOTS ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #32 – BLUES ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #33 – CONTEMPORARY CHRISTIAN/GOSPEL ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #34 – WORLD MUSIC ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #35 – JACK RICHARDSON PRODUCER OF THE YEAR
- #36 – RECORDING ENGINEER OF THE YEAR
- #37 – ALBUM ARTWORK OF THE YEAR
- #38 – MUSIC VIDEO OF THE YEAR
- #40 – ELECTRONIC ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #41 – METAL/HARD ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #42 – ADULT CONTEMPORARY ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- #43 – COMEDY ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- Bring in two new members annually while maintaining eight to ten members and the gender parity/diversity goal
- Committee members will serve for a maximum of four years
- Review and update category eligibility criteria
- Share information amongst the community
- Attend an in person screening meeting to review submissions to ensure they fit into the best possible category
- Enact a screen down policy if a category has fifty or more submissions through an anonymous vote amongst the committee. Any member with a direct conflict cannot participate in the vote.
- Submission outreach to solicit submissions across all genres through press releases, social media, personal networks, etc.
If you are actively working in the Canadian music industry in one of our category genres and are interested in participating on a Music Advisory Committee please contact [email protected].