Four ferocious players, masterful composition, and a genre-bending sound—Juno award-winning The Fretless is a Canadian quartet that has firmly taken its place on the map to a progressive form of “trad”.
A supergroup of celebrated solo artists, The Fretless has been creating a singular and signature sound that dares to expand the idea of what a string music quartet can be—transforming fiddle tunes and folk melodies into intricate, beautiful, high-energy arrangements that have quickly gained a dedicated following and accolades from around the world. Within what appears to be a simple construct — two fiddles, a viola, and a cello — The Fretless has created a sound that is distinctly rich, multi-layered, and uniquely percussive. This tonal quality is pushing traditional music to new heights, producing a completely fresh approach to Folk music.
– 2017 JUNO Award for Instrumental Album
– 2015 Canadian Folk Music Award for Ensemble of the Year
– 2012 Western Canadian Music Award for Instrumental Album and CFMA for Instrumental Group and Ensemble
– Media coverage for Open House from Indie88, CBC Music, If Its Too Loud, and more
– Open House featured vocalists: Taylor Ashton, Ruth Moody, Dan Mangan, Celeigh Cardinal, Freddy & Francine, Rachel Sermanni, Nuela Charles, The Bros. Landreth, Lady Phyl, and Red Tail Ring.
– Previous collaborations with the Cologne Philharmonic, Luxembourg Philhamronic, Calgary Youth Orchestra
– Performances at Shetland Folk Festival, Festival Internacional Cervantino, Celtic Connections, and the National Arts Centre