JUNO AWARDS SUBMISSIONS OPEN OCTOBER 1Sep 29, 2015
Toronto, ON (September 29, 2015)–The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) announced today that submissions for the 2016 JUNO Awards will open on Thursday, October 1. Apply online at www.junosubmissions.ca JUNO Week will be held in Calgary, Alberta, March 28 – April 3, 2016.
Important Dates to Remember:
- October 23, 2015, 5:00 pm (ET): Early-bird deadline to receive discounted submission rates
- November 13, 2015, 5:00 pm (ET): Final submission deadline
- January 6, 2016, 5:00 pm (ET): Final submission deadline for International Album of the Year and Album of the Year (sponsored by Music Canada)
Eligibility for the 2016 JUNO Awards applies to music released for national sale between September 1, 2014 and November 13, 2015. For a complete list of JUNO Awards categories, eligibility rules, and voting criteria go to www.junoawards.ca/submissions. Note: Save up to 40% on submissions by signing up as a CARAS Academy Delegate. Join at www.junoawards.ca/join
Along with the announcement of submission dates and deadlines, CARAS has also introduced the following changes this year:
- Streaming data will be added as an additional component in determining the nominees in the sales based categories. The streaming data will be provided by Nielsen Media Research Ltd.
- A project that is 20 minutes or has 6 unique songs will now be considered a full album. “Unique” meaning no remixes, acoustic, added accompaniment etc.
Roots & Traditional
- Roots & Traditional Album of the Year: Solo and Roots & Traditional Album of the Year: Group categories have been changed to Contemporary Roots Album of the Year and Traditional Roots Album of the Year. This update will ensure two genres of music are not competing against each other in the same category.
JUNO Fan Choice presented by TD
- The nominees for JUNO Fan Choice will now be determined by equal weight of single sales, streams and Next Big Sound data, rather than album sales and Next Big Sound.
PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is the Official Ballot Accountants for the 2016 JUNO Awards.
National Sponsors of the 2016 JUNO Awards: We acknowledge the financial support of FACTOR, the Government of Canada and of Canada’s Private Radio Broadcasters, Radio Starmaker Fund, Province of Alberta, the City of Calgary, Tourism Calgary, the National Music Centre and TD Bank Group.
The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences/L’académie canadienne des arts et des sciences de l’enregistrement (CARAS) is a not-for-profit organization created to preserve and enhance the Canadian music industry and to contribute toward higher artistic and industry standards. The main focus of CARAS is the exploration and development of ongoing opportunities to showcase and promote Canadian artists and music through vehicles such as The JUNO Awards and other year-round initiatives. For more information on the 45th Annual JUNO Awards or The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences’ (CARAS) please visit www.junoawards.ca
JUNO Awards Submission website: www.junosubmissions.ca
Official JUNO Awards website: www.junoawards.ca
CARAS Academy Delegate website: www.junoawards.ca/join
For more information on CARAS and the JUNO Awards, contact: